2021 Winners have been announced. Please see our News.
Look for our 2022 announcement is early spring.
Bay Cities Chapter of the 99s
Pilot Training Scholarship 2021
In memory of Jean Tinsley
The Bay Cities chapter of the Ninety-Nines is proud to announce our 2021 scholarship to provide funding toward flight training, materials, ground school, and exams. The purpose of this scholarship is to provide monetary assistance to a woman working on any certificate, rating, or endorsement.
Scholarship award amounts of up to $4000 will be determined by our scholarship committee based on the needs of selected applicants.
Please see below for the application deadline, eligibility, and the application form.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age by April 11, 2021.
- Applicants must be eligible for a private pilot or sport pilot license within the USA, or already hold at least a PPL.
- Applicants must hold a current medical certificate, and a student pilot certificate or PPL.
- Student pilots must have logged at least five hours of flight time and/or logged ground instruction, with a flight instructor, within the last six months.
- Applicants do not need to be a member of the 99s.
- Applicants must reside within California, north of the Clovis CZQ VOR 075/255 radials.
- Foreflight will be used for address eligibility verification if needed.
- This scholarship is for reimbursement of flight training supplies and expenses incurred after the date the scholarship is awarded.
- Please keep in mind that your application is a reflection of you. Neatness, following directions to the letter, and application presentation all matter.
- Applicants may be asked to participate in a phone interview with the scholarship committee.
- Funds must be claimed within one year of the date the scholarship is awarded.
- Original receipts will be required for reimbursement and must be signed by both the scholarship winner and her CFI.
- The scholarship committee will notify all applicants of our decisions by May 9, 2021.
To apply, submit the following documents per these instructions:
- Application Cover Sheet – completed and signed
- Applicant Essay – Introduce yourself and your aviation goals, one page maximum. Include information on your financial need, community involvement, and aviation involvement.
- Budget Statement – All student pilot applicants must complete and submit this form.
- Letter(s) of Recommendation, one-page maximum
- Student pilots must submit one letter, preferably from a CFI or other aviation professional.
- All other applicants must submit two letters of recommendation; one from an aviation professional and one from someone outside aviation.
- Medical certificate – Provide a copy of the full document
- Pilot certificate – Provide a color copy of your pilot certificate.
- Logbook page copies – Student pilots only
- Student pilots must submit color copies of both sides of the last two pages of their logbook.
- All logbook entries for flights and ground instruction must be signed by a CFI.
- Logbook pages must be totaled at the bottom of each page, including incomplete pages.
- Totals can be written in pencil, but all logbook entries must be written in pen.
- Application Checklist – checked and signed
All documents must be combined into a single .pdf file with a file name of “my name” and “2021 scholarship application” (example: Amber Gray 2021 scholarship application”).
The application must be received electronically no later than midnight on April 11, 2021.